User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?

FFLivewire Forums: Alex Smith traded to KC Chiefs - FFLivewire Forums

Page 1 of 1

Alex Smith traded to KC Chiefs 49ers get 2nd and 3rd (at least) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Portis26 Icon

• 5000 post club
  • -----------------------------
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

http://tracking.si.c...rs/?sct=uk_t2_a

March 12th is offical day apparently...

This post has been edited by Portis26: 26 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

#2 User is offline   chad@ffLiveWire Icon

• 5000 post club
  • Group: Root Admin
  • LocationWHERE IS IT COLD AS FOCK

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

It'd be funny if he went to the Packers as a backup to Aaron Rodgers. The media would have a field day.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Aargyle Icon

• InSaNe SnowcaTT!
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Roto:

Chiefs acquired QB Alex Smith from the 49ers in exchange for a second-round draft pick in 2013 and a conditional third-round pick in the 2014 draft.
Four years after trading for the Patriots' backup quarterback, the Chiefs have swung a deal for the 49ers' clipboard holder. The price tag is shocking. The Niners received the 34th pick this year plus a 2014 conditional third-rounder that can escalate to an additional second-rounder -- for a career game manager. It's similar to what the Cardinals paid for Kevin Kolb in 2011 and Kansas City paid for Matt Cassel in 2009. Smith is an upgrade on Cassel, but his mediocre skill set prevents offenses from playing explosive football and threatening downfield. The deal is done, but won't be "official" until the new league year opens on March 12. The 49ers are now armed with five draft picks in the top 93. The Chiefs are slated to pick just twice in the top 95. In Andy Reid's pass-happy West Coast scheme, Expect plenty of Smith checkdowns to Jamaal Charles.

Chiefs pay heavy for Cassel.
Raiders pay heavy for Palmer (and other QB's)
Now the Chiefs pay a 2nd (and maybe a 3rd) for Alex Smith.

THANK YOU GOD FOR HAVING DENVER IN THIS DIVISION. :pray:

(Also glad an old Gates is STILL the best WR on the Chargers core of D. Alexander, Meachem, Floyd, Royal, and a constantly hurt Brown).
"The Spring brings Cherry Blossoms to comfort you.
The Summer, stars.
The Harvest moon in the fall.
And the powder snow in winter.
All these things, and the promise of them,
is what makes Sake taste so sweet.
That is enough for Sake to taste good.
If it still repels you, then you must be ill."
----Hiko Seijuro

#4 User is offline   MTskibum Icon

• I officially have no life!!!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

That's too bad the the niners received that large of haul. I want the seahawks to win the division next year.

#5 User is offline   Aargyle Icon

• InSaNe SnowcaTT!
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

PFT:

Last year, when Alex Smith was an unrestricted free agent, the Chiefs didnít make a play for him. This year, they opted to send the 34th overall pick in the draft and a conditional selection in 2014 to San Francisco in order to secure the final two years of his contract.

So what does this all mean? Letís break it down.

First, it means that coach Andy Reid concluded during his time to date on the job that Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn, and Ricky Stanzi arenít the answer. (When Reid was on PFT Live last month, he left the door open regarding the possibility of giving the job to one of the men on the roster.)

Second, it means that the Chiefs didnít like any of the available free-agent options in 2013. If they did, they would have signed a guy and in turn kept their picks.

Third, it means that there was no one else they wanted to acquire via trade with a lesser package of picks.

Fourth, and finally, it means that the Chiefs not only decided that no incoming rookie quarterback justifies selection with their first-round pick but also that no incoming rookie quarterback justifies selection with their second-round pick.

Regardless, then, of how well Smith plays (or doesnít) for the Chiefs, the deal means that the Chiefs have considered giving up a second-round pick and another pick in the future for the 49ersí No. 2 quarterback to be a better option than any other option that was available to the team.

Which means, frankly, that the Chiefs really didnít believe they had any other options.

I said in some other thread it was a perfect year for Alex Smith, he was going to get paid since there were limited options.

What I didn't realize then is it meant it was a perfect year for SF to get picks as well.
"The Spring brings Cherry Blossoms to comfort you.
The Summer, stars.
The Harvest moon in the fall.
And the powder snow in winter.
All these things, and the promise of them,
is what makes Sake taste so sweet.
That is enough for Sake to taste good.
If it still repels you, then you must be ill."
----Hiko Seijuro

#6 User is offline   yoman Icon

• 5000 post club
  • LocationWhereabouts Unknown

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostAargyle, on 27 February 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

What I didn't realize then is it meant it was a perfect year for SF to get picks as well.

I was shocked to see what the 49ers got in return because I figured the 49ers would be forced to release him and get nothing. I thought Smith would probably only have at most 3 or 4 teams seriously pursing him. I think he is better than some the QBs on some of the teams that would not pursue him but he wasn't enough of an upgrade for them to let their current veteran go or to give up on a young QB.

#7 User is offline   Rholio Icon

• Lions fan... no, it's not easy
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Good luck Alex. This will be his chance to show if he can be more than the "game manager" he's labeled as being. Andy Reid is known as a QB coach, so this is one spot to watch this preseason for potential sleepers. Very good news for Jamaal Charles imo.
KCCO

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Football_Scooter Icon

• needs a 40 second timeout for every BOTD
  • LocationHayward, CA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

I think even if he is a "game manager" he will be a competent and stabilizing factor in KC. IMO Jcharles fantasy stock goes way up. Smith isn't going to win you a ton of games, but he won't lose them. KC needs someone to maintain drives. Smith can do that. I'm rooting for him. I think he's a huge need for KC right now.

Note - this is not Montana to the Chiefs. Lol
www.luckydoghotsauce.com
Food's Best Friend

Page 1 of 1

Edit Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users