Page 1 of 1

Biggest 1st Round Busts NFL Network show... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ft_ball_fan Icon

• 2 quality posts and counting
  • -----------------------------
  • Group: Members
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Really interesting... didn't realize that Penn State was so cursed for RB's int he NFL... Curtis Enis, KiJana Carter, D.J. Dozier and Blair White.. all of whom I remember were monsters in college but man they stunk in the pros (or got injuried in KJ Carter's case and we never saw what he could do).

I disagree with some of their list (i.e. they listed Andre Ware as a bigger bust than Heath Shuler.. and Tim Couch a bigger bust than either of them... but the hype around Shuler IMO was SO HUGE he was expected to be a superstar... Andre had detractors as he wasn't tall, played only run and shoot not pro style, etc). IMO Couch was no bigger bust than Todd Blackledge in KC...Joey Harrington in DET, Akili Smith/Dave Klingler in CIN... Rick Mirer (he as suposed to be Montana.. haha!)... Art Schlichter (I thought this guy would be good.. but in the NFL he looked like he was 12 playing with 30 year olds.) Matt Leinhart probably belongs in that list too... same with Cade McNown and Jeff George.

Steve Entman.. Tony Mandrich... Brian Bosworth (possibly the biggest bust in that he hyped himself so hard). They had Ryan Leaf as the #1 bust.. which I agree with.. he was CAN'T MISS coming out... had all the tools, was immaculate as far as physical ability and making all the throws and all that blah blah blah... then just sucked.

Problem is it was a 2005 show.. they need to update it to include recent guys (like the loser Jamarcus Russell OAK drafted at QB who didn't even care if he played or not.. and and is now out of football... etc). Charles Rogers the pot smoking loser from MSU who did nothing in DET... speaking of Rogers he was pulled over in Flint-town and had pot on him AGAIN... and has a warrant out for his arrest for failure to appear. LOSER. And DET then drafted Mike Williams. Insert Wah Wah sound here.

Good show despite being out of date.. it got me remebering all these guys who didn't pan out for whatever reason (and--while I say loser for some--I don't fault any guy who teams reached for like Ware, or who was hit w/injuries like KJ Carter)..

The one that really brought back memories for me was Lawrence Phillips from NEB... I remeber being so happy when the Rams picked him thinking he's going to get them back to the Eric Dickerson days... or not.... he was a complete loser. I was wrong about Rasham Salaam too (sp?)--thought he was a for sure star in the NFL and I don't think he did anything either... maybe on decent year to start then nada.

#2 User is offline   Portis26 Icon

• 5000 post club

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

LaVar Arrington!

#3 User is offline   chad@ffLiveWire Icon

• 5000 post club
  • Group: Root Admin
  • LocationWHERE IS IT COLD AS FOCK

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

When the topic of all time busts come up, immediately I think of Ryan Leaf and Tony Mandarich.

Mandarich gets a bad rap though. He never lived up to the hype, but he did start in Indy for a number of years. I think the biggest reasons he is listed high is because of the Incredible Bulk cover he did for ESPN and because of all the hall-of-famers drafted just after him.

Compare his career to Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, L. Phillips and some of those other guys - and I don't know if he belongs in the top 10.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Portis26 Icon

• 5000 post club

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Desmond Howard!! SBMVP or not he stunk!

#5 User is offline   Portis26 Icon

• 5000 post club

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Rod Gardner
Patrick Ramsey
Jason Campbell

#6 User is offline   Portis26 Icon

• 5000 post club

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Michael Westbrook

#7 User is offline   vardaski Icon

• Powder, Trout, & Whitewater Member
  • LocationHeaded to Colorado

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

I agree with Leaf being number 1 but would also agree that Russell might come a close 2nd. Can't put Ware anywhere close. I agree that he had question marks going before the draft. Were the Lions dumb and reaching when they drafted him definitely but there are plenty of others ahead of him. I can't even remember what draft pick he was in the first round. The Lions have had so many others that stand out more. For me I thought Couch was a major bust. I remember people talking about him being the next peyton manning.

Chad makes a good point about Mandrich but I think he is seen as such a bust for the fact he got his draft position due to the roids he was on all through college and when he got of the juice he never materialized into the can't miss dominant o-lineman everyone believed him to be.

#8 User is offline   ft_ball_fan Icon

• LocationDetroit

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

Portis your posts have me ROFL... I agree Ramsey was a bust (per se) but also a reach like Andre Ware... I read a lot about him that he had the tools to be good but not the accuracy.. and the he would be a project. I don't think anyone who's been in the league as long as Jason Campbell can be a bust... it think he was actually decent in OAK before Palmer came along (an Palmer wasn't good at the end either)... Didn't Westbrook go on to be somewhat successful in PHI?

I always liked Rod Garner.. what happened to him? was it injuries? Or did he never blossom? Also like Lavar Arrington... it was his knees right? He was a beast though. No way can you say Desmong Howards IMO (not just one game as SB MVP... but a bunch of great returns that season. Thinking he was going to be a #1 WR was delusional... he was mighty might!

Tony Mandrich was taken #2 or #1 overall wasn't he? He did play for a bit but was SO underwhelming--he got beat a ton and ended up loosing his job... I think the fact he was SO dominant and awesome in college.. showed it all (run and pass blocking--he could handle any DL no problem.. no matter who it was he'd pancake ANYONE.. but as stated it was all Roids and not talent... so he was a huge bust and if no roids probably would have been a late round flier or not drafted... (and I'm a Michigan State slappy).

I don't remember the hype surrounding Couch (did he play for ILL/IND? maybe that's why).... as much as around Art Schlister and Jeff George (and Rick Mirer too). SEA was even able to trade Rick Mirer to CHI a year or two after he'd sucked for them and lost the starting job to... ... .. ? No one good? Anyway--they ditched him on CHI (IIRC) for a 1st round pick + because everyone still thought Rick was sooner or later going to be Joe Montana. Or not.. he was the suck.

Jamarcus--I think they reached.. I didn't think he'd be great.. I didn't see it in college... but I've never been a fan of big, physical running QB's. I think the bust part of it was he was SO HORRIBLE and just didn't care at all--he had his money and was going to just sit and listen to his ipod all day... tell a few jokes and go home (rich).

Different than Ryan Leaf--who was supposed to be one of the best prospects to ever come out of college... tested off the charts on xyz metrics, etc. Then sucked. But I agree Russell is a close #2 because he was IMO worse than Leaf in the NFL...

#9 User is offline   Stalker711 Icon

• Resident Contrarian
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Honestly, I'd have to rate the most recent mega-bust players higher than almost any of the 'old days' players primarily due to the financial impact these losers had on their teams.

That being said, the only reason people are rating Ryan Leaf higher than Russell is due to all the now classic footage of him melting down on beat reporters. He was overmatched, and painfully immature, but he actually played some games, unlike Russell who was busy eating candy on the bench watching 'lesser QBs' take his job.

Entman should be lumped in with KJ Carter as injuries completely derailed that guys career. I watched him at UW, and when you can run a 2-5-4 defense with Entman and some other fella on the DL, and dismember opposing defenses, you are getting some serious play from the DL. EVERY PLAY he was double or triple teamed, and he still penetrated and caused major headaches for offenses. I imagine they just used him up at UW before he went pro, cause the knees/?? were done.

I liked Couch, and thought he went into an absolutely horrible situation in Cleveland. Wasn't he their first ever draft pick? No line, no rushing attack, no receivers, and then he tore up his shoulder. Montana wouldn't have succeeded in that mess.

I would consider Robert Gallery a major bust ala Tony Mandarich. Both drafted to be dominant LTs. Both sucked it up at LT. Both bounced around the line until finding a home at the OG position years later. Sure Gallery is still in the league, but if you consider that GB and OAK drafted these guys to be franchise anchor LTs, and both were horrid until replaced, they were both busts as intended.

#10 User is online   Aargyle Icon

• InSaNe SnowcaTT!
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

I have to put Russell higher than Leaf now. Sure Leaf was a "can't miss" (Colts were flip-flopping on him or Manning), whereas Russell was drafted a spot higher but might have been a reach.

But Leaf bounced around on a couple more teams, played more games as starter after he left SD--never good, and certainly not up to the hype.

When Russell was done he was DONE. No other team was willing to look at him. And really, he was done on his own team before he was dumped. Also like Stalker says: this has to be one of the bigger financial busts ever, paid a modern megabucks deal before the rookie cap.
"The Spring brings Cherry Blossoms to comfort you.
The Summer, stars.
The Harvest moon in the fall.
And the powder snow in winter.
All these things, and the promise of them,
is what makes Sake taste so sweet.
That is enough for Sake to taste good.
If it still repels you, then you must be ill."
----Hiko Seijuro

#11 User is offline   Little Big Head Icon

• Draft Sniper
  • LocationMAINE

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

View Postft_ball_fan, on 23 April 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Really interesting... didn't realize that Penn State was so cursed for RB's int he NFL... Curtis Enis, KiJana Carter, D.J. Dozier and Blair White..

Blair Thomas not Blair White
LBH

IBL 2013

1.10A- Julio Jones
2.03A- Trent Richardson
3.10A- Lamar Miller
4.03A- Pierre Garcon
5.08A- Cecil Shorts
5.10B- Matt Ryan
7.10A-
8.03A-
9.10A-
11.10A
12.03A
13.10A
14.03A
14.03B
15.10A

#12 User is offline   ft_ball_fan Icon

• LocationDetroit

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostLittle Big Head, on 25 April 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

View Postft_ball_fan, on 23 April 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Really interesting... didn't realize that Penn State was so cursed for RB's int he NFL... Curtis Enis, KiJana Carter, D.J. Dozier and Blair White..

Blair Thomas not Blair White

Sorry.. Blair White was a beloved Spartan Alumni :)

Page 1 of 1

Edit Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users