User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?

FFLivewire Forums: Joe Flacco...franchise QB or JAG? - FFLivewire Forums

Page 1 of 1

Joe Flacco...franchise QB or JAG? Now highest paid NFL player. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Stalker711 Icon

• Resident Contrarian
  • -----------------------------
  • Group: Members
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

I've been following the Joe Flacco contract drama for a bit, and I can see why they haven't cemented a long-term deal with him. Flacco's side points to his high win percentage (one of the best streaks starting out in the league). The team points to the defense that is a perennial top 10, with a handful of game changers, and one of the best RBs in the game that takes a lot of pressure off him to make things happen. And he still underperforms.

I can see Flacco wanting top 10 or better money, but I can't see where his performances warrant much more than a #11-20 type contract. The league is full of high flying offenses, and his is not one of them.

At this point, I see him being little better than Peyton Hillis or DeSean Jackson letting their money affect their games.

Anyone see Flacco as more than a game manager at this point in his career? He seems just a little better than a JAG to me.

#2 User is offline   Aargyle Icon

• InSaNe SnowcaTT!
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

I had high hopes for both Flacco and Sanchez after year one. Both seem to be the same type of guy to me, they got better year two and that really was their plateau. Good game managers, but Flacco is crazy to think he deserves top money. I think the argument was they had won lots of games -- yeah, so did SF, and Alex isn't going to get top dollar either.

edit - yep, without even thinking about it I put Alex Smith into the game manager category. I think this is actually a good thing, calling Alex as "up" to this level of QB, but a bad thing for Flacco when I put him in the same category as Alex. Not a franchise guy, but good enough to get the job done.

What is JAG? Just a guy?
"The Spring brings Cherry Blossoms to comfort you.
The Summer, stars.
The Harvest moon in the fall.
And the powder snow in winter.
All these things, and the promise of them,
is what makes Sake taste so sweet.
That is enough for Sake to taste good.
If it still repels you, then you must be ill."
----Hiko Seijuro

#3 User is offline   MTskibum Icon

• I officially have no life!!!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Most QB's improve until they are about 30-31. So Joe Flacco should improve over his previous numbers. So far in his career he has been a 60% passer that throws for about 3600 yards a season with a 2:1 TD to INT ratio.

I expect that to improve to 63% completion 4000 yards and 2.5:1 TD to INT. With the possibility of a further jump if he ever gets a truly elite WR.

Joe Flacco's first 4 seasons are better than:

Eli Manning
http://www.nfl.com/p...2505996/profile

Ben Roethlisberger
http://www.nfl.com/p...2506109/profile

Drew Brees
http://www.nfl.com/p...2504775/profile

At this point in Flacco's career I would put him on the Eli Manning career path, although hopefully Flacco never wins a superbowl.

This post has been edited by MTskibum: 03 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

#4 User is offline   Rock Hard Icon

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
  • LocationHuntington Beach, CA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostAargyle, on 03 March 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

What is JAG? Just a guy?

Judge Advocate General?
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   ft_ball_fan Icon

• 2 quality posts and counting
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:34 AM

I thought it meant Flacco possible future Jax Jaguar

Be interesting to see what SF does with Smith.. I don't have him in the game manager category anymore.. he didn't 'not lose' the playoff game this year... he'd have won it... that idiot who dropped the ball in the endzone when Smith hit him in the numbers lost it. Smith played a hell of a game...

Interesting that you say Flacco will get a boost in numbers if they get an elite WR... I still think the former AZ WR who's there (Boldin) is.. as Fitz and Steve Smith south showed this year your QB impacts your stats a ton.

#6 User is offline   Aargyle Icon

• InSaNe SnowcaTT!
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Roto:

Updating a previous item, Joe Flacco's new deal with the Ravens is for six years and $120.6 million.
The $20.1 million annual average over six years makes Flacco the highest-paid player in NFL history, slightly more than Drew Brees' five-year, $100 million deal signed last offseason. There's still no word on how much is guaranteed, what the signing bonus is, or what the total payout will be over the first three years. These numbers are all far more important than the years and potential total amount over the life of the deal. For now, Flacco is the top dog.

Whew, now I never have to worry about the Ravens winning again. I think I said elsewhere if a SB is what it took for them to overpay Flacco and never win again, I'd accept that.
"The Spring brings Cherry Blossoms to comfort you.
The Summer, stars.
The Harvest moon in the fall.
And the powder snow in winter.
All these things, and the promise of them,
is what makes Sake taste so sweet.
That is enough for Sake to taste good.
If it still repels you, then you must be ill."
----Hiko Seijuro

#7 User is offline   Rholio Icon

• Lions fan... no, it's not easy
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

What a year for Flacoo... wins the Superbowl, and then the lottery.

He's maybe a top 10 QB, but outside of the top 5 imo.

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
P. Manning
Ryan
Roethlisberger
Romo
Luck

For me, these QBs all top Flacco

Cutler
Stafford
RGIII
E. Manning
C. Newton
Rivers

Flacco fits in this group somewhere, putting him in the 9-15 range. Russell Wilson, Kapernick, and others could pass him in a year or two, as well.
KCCO

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Edit Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users